Galway Metropolitan Smarter Travel Area
Galway City Council and Galway County Council have developed the Galway Metropolitan Smarter Travel Area Bid, to produce a five-year plan to make the area encompassing Galway City, Bearna, Baile Chláir and Órán Mór, a world class demonstration of sustainable travel.
The fruits of this bid will induce more attractive and vibrant economic, health, environmental and tourist sectors that will be underpinned by a strong culture of sustainable travel.
Galway Transportation Unit Business Plan
Galway City Council established the Galway Transportation Unit (GTU) to accelerate the delivery of public transport infrastructure within the city and implement strategic traffic management initiatives that will improve traffic management for all road users in the city.
Between 2010 and 2015, significant work will be underway to deliver the 2020 public transport network. The main priorities for the Smarter Travel Team during this time will be:
- Delivery of the Órán Mór Transportation Hub at Garraun;
- Delivering improvements to the bus network;
- Working with public transport operators to improve service provision;
- Working with public transport operators to increase marketing and awareness of services;
- Facilitating the development of Park ‘n’ Ride facilities on arterial routes into Galway;
- Progressing design of the east-west public transport corridor;
- Facilitating double tracking of the rail line into Galway and investigating the feasibility of commuter stations at Roscam and Renmore.
From 2010-2015, Galway City Council will continue to develop plans for the East West Rapid Transit Corridor including detailed design and planning.